Field Recordings of Donegal Fiddler ‘James Byrne’.
This album is dedicated to the memory of the late Donegal James ‘An Bheirneach’ Byrne from Gleann Cholm Cille, Co Dhún na nGall who was born in 1946 and passed away suddenly in 2008. James grew up to become one of the greatest exponents of the South West Donegal style of fiddling with an unsurpassed knowledge of the music of his native area. He was the custodian of a vast repertoire of tunes and lore and presented a living link to the legendary players of old and was known throughout the musical world as one of the best traditional Irish fiddlers. His style of playing, his tone and command of the instrument were exceptional.
The Byrne Family have produced this unique collection of James' music – put together from nearly thirty years of field recordings. Raw and authentic, they capture the true essence of 'The Beirneach'. Ní bheidh a leithéid ann arís.
Liosta Traiceanna / Track Listing
1. The Coillte Feannaid. (Reel)
2. Gan Ainm. (Highland)
3. The Rat in the Thatch / Cuffe Street. (Reels)
4. John Byrne’s. (Slip Jig)
5. The Low Highland / The One After. (Highlands)
6. Maidín Fhómhair. (Slow Air)
7. The Old Wheel of Fortune / Gan Ainm (Reels)
8. Micheál Carr’s / Gan Ainm. (Highlands)
9. Leslie’s / The Wild Irishman. (Reels)
10. Paddy McLaughlin’s. (Reel)
11. King George IV. (Strathspey)
12. Lord Gordon’s. (Reel)
13. The Newport Lass / The Rambling Pitchfork. (Jigs)
14. The Drumnagarry. (Strathspey)
15. Gan Ainm. (Reel)
16. Rocking the Cradle / Welcome Home, Grainne. (Slow Air/Reel)
17. The Blacksmith’s Fancy / Rakish Paddy. (Reels)
18. The Eight Step / The Flogging Reel (Set/Reel)
19. The Kitchen Bed. (Speech) 1:27
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.